Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I hate waiting. Anyone who has known me any length of time can tell you that I like to see things happen and make them happen. Patience is NOT my middle name. I think it's always been that way for me. And that's why it is so hard for me to read verses in Scripture like the one I read today. "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14 NIV Why is this such an issue? Why does God say so much to us (to me) about being still, having patience and waiting? I believe it's because all good things take time. You've heard the expressions. "Champions aren't built overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day. Good things come to those who wait" (there's that word again). The truth is, spiritual transformation lies at the heart of all these discussions for the believer. Paul tells us that we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. That word brings to mind the metamorphosis that takes place when a caterpillar becomes a butterfly. There is no microwave version. For that caterpillar, the wait must be excruciating. Especially if he is impatient like me. And so, I am learning to be still and wait. I want to be more for Christ. I want to see answers to problems and prayer requests that are granted via spiritual "drive throughs". But God gently reminds me that what I desire may be good; what He desires for me is best. In order to have that I have to be transformed and transformation takes time. I may not know immediately what He desires for me. I may only know what He wants for this next minute or next hour. And, if I am to be made into the likeness of Christ (the ultimate goal of every Christ follower), then I must be content with that. In the mean time, I think I'll take another bite of my muffin and wait. I mean, if you got to wait, you might as well drop the stress and enjoy the minutes as they pass...right?

No comments: