Friday, March 30, 2007

I had someone ask me the other day "Is there anything good going on with you? I mean, I read your blog and I hear about your struggles but surely something good is happening that you can talk about." Okay, fair enough. I'll give equal time to all the good things that God is doing with me. Like today, something absolutely amazing happened today. It's not like it hasn't happened a million times before--over 14,500 times to be more precise! I got up. Before you laugh and scoff at this idea, getting up is something that's very important to me. I like getting up (on most days). I like walking through the house God has blessed me with and cooking breakfast (yes, I can cook a few things). I love opening God's word and finding out what new things He wants to show me each day. I love being able to holler upstairs to my beautiful kids and listen to their sleep voices as they stir from their sleep. I love those blurry eyed kisses I get from them every single day. There is nothing in this world that I love more than being able to walk through this world with all of its good and its bad. Nothing in this world. But I can tell you that there is a place that I long for more than this. A place that, someday, I'll get to hang out with all three of my kids and my beautiful wife. It's a place being prepared for me and it's grand. But till then, I don't want to take for granted the privilege of standing in line, waiting my turn, banging my toe on the side of the bed and flossing my teeth (I still have every one of them). I thank God--though it's not nearly often enough--for every gray hair, every lost hair, every achy bone and the fact that my kids think I'm ancient. I hope I some day live up to that description. This life is not all that there is BUT it is all that there is for now. And, even though it has had more than it's share of rough places, it is a good life and I am very blessed. I will choose to make the most of these days--even the worst ones. As I approach the third anniversary of the accident that ripped apart my family and cost my kids there mother and little brother, I see that I have two options. Live like there is no tomorrow with a grim outlook and a grimmer disposition. Or, as I prefer, remember that I still have days to use for God's glory beginning with this one. I hope you will choose to do the same. Because, no matter what you have been through, you have come "through" and this next minute could be your very best. I choose to believe it can!

No comments: