Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Good afternoon to my new friends in North Carolina. Thanks for your amazing hospitality as I spent the day with you on Tuesday. And thanks for your prayerful support of what we are trying to do through these speaking engagements. I hope I get to join you again soon in the Tar Heel state.

There's a part of me that loves making trips. Going new places and discovering new things brings a lot of excitement. I almost feel smarter (I know, it doesn't take much) for having been exposed to new cultures and meeting new people. There is an element of fear, though. The uncertainty of new places and new faces. I was thinking as I flew home from Charlotte last night about how tired I was from learning names, interacting with new people and sharing my story yet again.

I think that's true with any new venture though. If trying something new were easy, we would all be doing it. But any time we choose to take a new direction with our lives, there will be a little trepidation that accompanies that decision.

Carrying that thought a little further...how much more is that fear intensified when it is a new path that is forced upon us rather than one that we chose? For example, living alone after the death of a spouse, starting a new career after being "down-sized," or moving to a new city as a child. No new thing is easy...but they are so good for us. I walked around outside the auditorium at the hospital yesterday. There they have a museum displaying some of the early history of medicine that includes some of the instruments used from the early 1900's. Can I tell you how thankful I am that some guy, somewhere challenged the efficiency of a hacksaw for surgical procedures? How much have all of us benefited from the person who decided that he would try something new one day and give something else besides a shot of whiskey to numb the pain? Were these guys afraid when they brought their new ideas to the table? You bet! What if they failed? What if others laughed or their ideas failed to be embraced? But, worse yet, what if they had decided to stick with status quo and not challenge the process? I think we have to agree that new faces, new places, new ideas and new philosophies can be a blessing. And sometimes the only way those ideas will come is if they are "forced" upon us.

My involvement in the medical profession is something I would have never chosen for myself. While my contributions are limited, I think they are valuable. I think they are worthwhile. But, without the death of my son, I would have never entered this field and been challenged to do what I do. Something new, something scary but something that I can see now, has the influences of God's purpose for my ministry. I hope you'll do your part to embrace something new this week. You'll never know where God may lead you.

5 comments:

Dana said...

Ridley, I was in the audience at NEMC in Concord. Your message was so powerful. God has richly blessed you through a season of pain. How bittersweet that must be. I want to encourage you as you travel and take care not to become so weary that your view of God's plan is dimmed by schedules and flights and meetings. Never forget the reason you are doing this...you are deeply touching lives. You are not only educating the medical community, you are showing what our God can do and how he can heal a broken heart. Take care. "Be The One".....Dana Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Hello my new friend -
Thank you again for your willingness to be used by God to make a difference in Concord, NC. Keep fighting the good fight and may God continue to bless you. The seeds you have planted have already begun to grow. The lives that have been touched do indeed talk about what can be done to improve patient safety; however, it does not stop there. Many have discussed with me personally how their spiritual lives have been enriched as well.

Unknown said...

I had the wonderful opportunity to hear you speak at Northeast Medical Center. Last week was my third week as a nurse. I graduated from Bob Jones University recently, which is a christian University in Greenville, SC. I needed to hear and see your story for several reasons. When I returned to my unit that afternoon, God opened the door for me to share my failth in Christ to several co-workers. Thank you for faithly retelling your story, regardless of the pain. I will keep your ministry and family in my prayers. May God bless you!

Karrie Elliott
Charlotte, NC

Anonymous said...

Rev. Barron,
I attended your presentation on Tuesday at NorthEast Medical Center. On Tuesday night, I had two employees call me at home to try to find out more information regarding your speaking engagements. Both wanted their spouses to hear you! Both of these professionals spoke of how you had chanded their lives with your presentation. I wanted to personally thank you for reliving the anguish that I know you must feel each time you share your story - what a ministry. You helped each member of the medical profession truly refocus on the purpose of why we do what we do; but in addition to that, you helped me personally with my faith. Your spirit of forgiveness is an inspiration to me -
Thank you again for obeying God's will by sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

REV.BARRON,
I WAS SO GLAD I CAME TO HEAR YOU SPEAK ON TUES. AT NEMC. IT WAS MY DAY OFF AND I WAS TRYING TO DECIDE IF I SHOULD COME OR NOT. WOW I AM GLAD I DID. I WAS TOUCHED BY YOUR STORY AND STRONG FAITH. I ALSO HAD THE PLEASURE TO MEET AND SPEAK WITH YOU. I TOLD YOU ABOUT MY SON WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 2 A PHARMACY MIXED HIS MEIDCINE WRONG AND SO WHEN I GAVE IT TO HIM IT WAS AN OVERDOSE EVERYTIME. OF COURSE I HAD NO IDEA AND THE HOME HEALTH NURSE DID NOT EITHER UNTIL HIS HEART RATE WAS IN THE 40'S. WITHOUT THE MONITOR TO LET US KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON I DON'T THINK HE WOULD BE HERE TODAY.
THAT IS WHY I AM IN THE MEDICAL FEILD TODAY IS BECAUSE ALL I WENT THROUGH WITH MY TWINS. I HOPE TO GO ON AND BECOME A RN AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I AM SORRY WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH BUT THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY BECAUSE IT HAS TOUCHED ME IN MANY WAYS.
I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND CONTINUE TO DO WHAT GOD HAS CALLED YOU TO DO.
GOD BLESS YOU AND THANK YOU AGAIN