Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18 NIV

I tend to be a little bit of a news junkie. I really have to watch myself some times because I will get caught up in a particular story or event and will spend great amounts of time following the story. Quite often, it's regarding some cultural event. I guess one of the newest ideas is to have these blogs connected to articles in the paper so that the readers can respond to the writer's thoughts. I must admit, I can lose my cool reading some of the things that are written in these blogs. I haven't really decided if they just attract some strange characters or if Americans have really lost every bit of common sense. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is not a new thing. Paul said that foolishness abounds, even when it comes to the Gospel. For centuries, mankind has managed to take the simplicity of the Gospel and turn it into leatherbound fetters for the hearts of men. Rather than offering liberty to the soul, we confuse its meaning and turn it into a cumbersome institution of rituals, "dos" and "don'ts", and legalistic trappings. How sweet it will be on that day when the blind are given sight and the chains are loosed. Jesus said that the faith of a child could receive the Gospel, yet the minds of grown men somehow miss it. I desire so much for the people of our community to taste the greatness of God. But I do not want His grace tarnished by our foolish representations of it. I want my church to be a place for all who will come and ask questions and seek answers. This is not "anything goes" mentality; rather, it is more of a "God can heal any pain" simplicity. I often wonder how the world's opinion of Christ would be changed if we would live the Gospel just as God intended it without our additions or editions. I pray that, today, you would experience the love of Christ and the grace of our Father unecumbered--just as He intended it. Then and only then will you and I fully know the power of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!