Monday, March 14, 2011

Hugs

I am a hugger. Always have been and I guess I always will be. Maybe it is because I come from a very affectionate and very large family. Maybe there is something deeper, more psychological at its core. Whatever the root of it, I have been told it makes me everything from loving to downright annoying. Nevertheless, I remain a hugger...whatever you think of me.

The way I see it, we live in a world where there is enough hatred, enough loneliness, enough pain and enough rejection. Heck, who in the world couldn't use a hug?

Apparently there are such people. This morning as I watched the news, I was shocked to find out that there is apparently some author who thinks we hug too much. Really? Are you serious? Too much?

This train of thought leads me to several questions. First, why would anyone feel this way? Was he not hugged enough as a child? Was this person hugged too much by someone he didn't like? What would lead someone to such a conclusion?

Secondly, why in the world did some publisher feel that this was a topic worth publishing...or, for that matter, why did the news organization feel like it was worth a headline on the news?

I believe in the power of touch. It communicates acceptance and love. It breaks down walls and removes fears. It can calm a child who is afraid and ease the pain of someone who is struggling. Yes, I'm a firm believer in the value of a good old-fashioned bear hug. Look, if there are things we are looking to cut out because we've got too much of it, I can give you a long list of nominations: taxes, awards shows, "Housewives" from any major metro city with their own TV show, Miley Cyrus sightings, and Charlie Sheen updates. Speaking of someone who needs a hug...

1 comment:

disciplediva said...

My boyfriend is a HUGE hugger. And, I for one, am so glad he is. It's wonderful to see someone, esp a man have affection and isn't afraid to show it. :-)

Good article, Ridley.

Amie