Monday, July 30, 2007

But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world. 1 John 4:4 NLT

It's been a tough day. It usually is when you come back from spiritually high moments like a mission trip. It is almost as if the Enemy wants to remind you that the warfare on this planet is not done yet, that he is still there. There were some disturbing phone calls and e-mails from friends and family who are going through difficult times--someone lost a job, someone else had emergency surgery, a friend of mine is headed back into depression after a long struggle to get out, another has discovered that his son is making unwise choices in regards to his sexuality and still another has been attacked by friends at work. Like I needed a reminder that Satan hates my guts, hates everyone who longs to follow after Christ!

What I did need is a reminder that God loves me more. I found it here in an old familiar passage. The junk I'm facing today I do not have to face on my own--nor do my friends. Nor do you. You see, for anyone who will follow Christ, there is this promise that the Spirit that dwells in me has overcome ALL things. Fear no more. Anger conquered. Depressions lifted. Intimidating circumstances overcome. Not that those things go away. My Monday is a reminder that, as long as we walk this earth, we will deal with the Enemy who hates our "ever-loving guts" (that's a South Georgia term). But 1 John is a reminder that God is crazy for me. He has made provision for all that Satan will throw against me and more. He loved me (and you) enough to die so that He could be the final nail in the coffin for the greatest "hater" the world has ever known. Take enormous comfort in this truth. Your problems are great; God is greater. Always has been, always will be. That's enough to make it to Tuesday!

No comments: