Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Just when I think I have seen and heard it all, something new pops onto the screen. Maybe you have seen this one but I must admit that it really took me off guard. This morning's paper had an article about comedian Kathy Griffin. Some of you know her. I know very little about her. Whatever the case, she was awarded an Emmy for her performance on some show that's so good, I've never heard of it (yes, that was major sarcasm). Doesn't surprise me though. Hollywood has focused its efforts in recent years on pushing the envelope and being out of touch with main stream America. Why not award an Emmy to a second rate comic? But that's not the point here. Here's where it gets crazy. The following is a portion of her acceptance speech, which will be edited from the TV showing of the awards show.

"a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."Then, lifting her Emmy award up high she continued, "This award is my god now!"

Wow! I was blown away. What an awful statement. What an arrogant attitude. What reckless disregard for everything holy: God's love, God's authority, God's justice. Here's the kicker though.

Is she any different from many of us? No, we don't get on stage and thumb our noses at God. But doesn't every sin scoff at His justice. We may not hold a golden statue in our hands, but how many times have you allowed your job, your hobbies, your friends, or your status to become "your god now." I feel for Kathy. She's a poor soul in need of love and direction. She is a hurt individual who thinks her career and her success will satisfy her when she gets to the end of her life. What about you? Is God really the center of your life? Can I just be honest and offend a few of you a little bit? I'm really talking to a lot of my churched friends--you know, the members of the club. You know the secret handshake and the right words to use but if you were completely honest with yourself you would have to admit that your attitude is very "Griffin-like." You toss your perfunctory praise to heaven each Sunday and then live like hell the rest of the week. Your speech and your actions are no better than Kathy's or any other who denies the existence of God. How dare we believe that God would be any more satisfied with us than He is with her? With God, it's all or nothing. May you and I both be found giving Him our all today.

No comments: