Monday, January 12, 2009

It's been just over a year ago since I wrote about my first wife's father-in-law

It's been just over a year ago since I wrote about my first wife's father-in-law (January 4th to be exact). Mr. Trimble was a man I respected highly, the kind that challenged me to be a better man myself because of his example. I say "was" because, this past Sunday, Mr. Trimble went home to be with the Lord.

Now, typically you won't catch me using that phrase "at home to be with the Lord." I'm not sure why. I guess I'm not usually very comfortable with its implications and some people who it's applied to. Not so with Mr. Trimble. I really believe with all my heart that "Andaddy" (as his grandkids called him) is at home. I also believe that this was what he longed for most...that day when all the stuff on this earth would end and he would move on to all that really mattered.

I thank God for the longevity and persistence with which Mr. Trimble lived out his faith. I thank God for the father and grandfather and husband he has been to his family. I thank God for the example he has been and the model of truth and integrity. Most of all, I thank God his suffering is over. There comes a point in a man's life where the appeal of God's glory in Heaven far outweighs the longing to be with your loved ones here for just "one more day."

My family and I will be traveling to Macon to be with the Trimbles and to conduct his funeral service on Wednesday. I covet your prayers for all of us as we go. I'll stay in touch throughout the week as time allows.

No comments: