Tuesday, May 05, 2009

There are times I can be just like a little kid.

There are times I can be just like a little kid. (It's okay, Lisa, you can say "amen.") And, if we're honest, all of us can be that way with God. Take for instance one story in Scripture where Jesus tells his disciples to "watch for His return" but to be wary "because no one knows when." (Matthew 24:36-44)

Can you imagine what kind of response that got from the disciples? "Are we there yet? Is it time? How much longer?" It brings back memories of numerous road trips with my kids.

We can get so anxious about what God's timing is and when it's all going to happen--not just with His return but with everything. So, after reading that passage this morning, I flipped back over to Psalm 75:2: You say, "I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge uprightly."

I've got friends right now who are (im)patiently waiting for what's next...a house to sell, a child to come, a doctor's announcement or some other information that keeps them holding their breath. It's hard to step out of our "backseat" mentality and trust that God's timing is best. It seems so easy for us to second-guess. You and I have to remember that, just like our young children, we cannot understand the concept of time in an eternal dimension.

As I sit and wait for events to happen in my family's life, I feel your impatience. But God is right and God is true and His timing will prove to be very best. Guaranteed.

1 comment:

Tammy Estrada said...

I've learned that using your faith for God's perfect will and not what I think or want always results in the blessings of life. Since he sees "the big picture" and I only see what is happening here and now, His way is always the best way. How many times have we all looked back and said, "Wow, thank God didn't answer my prayer. My way would have been disastrous!" (Sounds like a good Garth Brooks song. LOL)