Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's a bittersweet week that I'm living through right now.

It's a bittersweet week that I'm living through right now. And it makes me feel just a little bit older. On Monday, I watched as Abigail finished up fifth grade and was "promoted" to the sixth grade which means she will be in middle school next year. Today, I watched as Harrison was promoted from eighth grade into his freshmen year at Independence.

Can it really be that they are that old? That I am that old? Watching Harrison this morning caused a rush of emotions to come regarding these milestone moments in their lives. I thought back to the day that Abigail graduated from kindergarten (she was just "Abby" then). It was just a month after Sarah's death. I cried all the way through the event. The thought of Abby growing up missing her mom was crippling that day.

Today, thanks be to God, the emotions are still there--still very raw--but there is peace. I have peace knowing that she and Harrison are doing well. Both are good kids, good students and a joy to my life. I also know that, while Abby and Harrison will not have "their" mom at these events, they have been blessed to have a very good mom who stands by them and supports them.

As the eighth grade promotion wound down and I made the drive into the office, these thoughts were all swirling around in my head. In those few moments, God brought to mind this passage:

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God... Isaiah 43:2-3 NIV

No comments: