Monday, May 18, 2009

Goals.

Back a few weeks ago, my youngest daughter, Landon, celebrated a milestone occasion. She got her first soccer goal. Actually, she got two in the same game. I wish I would have had a camera poised for the very moment that the ball went in the net and she turned to face Lisa and me. Her smile was priceless.

You see, Landon had run hundreds of miles, kicked thousands of balls and rolled in the grass more times than I care to count in order to get to that first goal. She had worked hard, run fast and done everything the coaches had told her to this point but that first goal had avoided her till that moment.

As I reflected back on that moment this morning, it got me thinking about another goal. This one from Paul:

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. Philippians 3:12-14 Message

It's hard work getting there. Just ask Landon. But I don't think for a minute that she would trade all that hard work for the feeling of knowing she had made her goal. Pressing heavenward, you and I can know that same feeling. But we can't lose hope. What lies ahead, God only knows. And He has promised to "coach" you the entire way. Someday, you and I may know the feeling of what it means to have achieved all that God desires for you and me. Till then, we keep on running...and falling...and getting up again...

Proud of you, Landon. Don't ever stop giving it your all.

No comments: