Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How hard it is to tame the tongue--even in the most innocent of situations. The Bible says to "not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs." On the surface that seems like such a logical command. However, in practice, we find from experience how deep the words of others can cut to our soul. After the accident, there were so many people who tried to offer words of comfort and support. They were wonderful. It is not a stretch to say that the kids and I would be completely different if it weren't for those affirmations during that critical time. But, some equally well intentioned people did not have such encouraging things to say. Many times, there were words and prayers that came from ignorance, selfishness and even anger. There were some who could not understand why we would do such a thing or say such a word. When I preached just two days after my wife's death on Easter Sunday, there were some who said I was out of line and should never have attempted such a thing. God bless them. They really did mean well. They still do. You still do. I still do. Often the things we say are not meant to hurt or to tear down, they are simply words that were not well thought out. The encouragement for us today is that we should speak and speak often to encourage one another. But words should never be spoken without much thought and, when those words still come out wrong, never be afraid to say "I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you." Our words hold both healing and hurt in them. They can raise the lowest soul or can sink the highest spirit. Be careful what you say today. The few phrases you and I utter may change somone's life immensely--let it be for their good and His glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really could relate with this one, especially after being home last weekend. That is why I "process" so much, so I say things the right way because I don't ever want to hurt anyone. Saying I'm sorry and meaning is very important, if people would just do it. Funny...someone just called and told me I was their hero. God always knows what we need when we need it, and he never ceases to amaze me. I am glad that you are continuing your thoughts here, I know God is using you.