Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Most of us have spent time with a toddler or two in our life time.

Most of us have spent time with a toddler or two in our life time. If you have, you've seen that human nature that wants to do everything on our own. It pops up early in life. I remember all three of my kids, when they were young, trying to tell daddy, "I can do it myself."

Part of the maturation of a human is to understand, no, you really can't do it all by yourself. Life is full of opportunities for us to rely on others and have confidence in someone's ability to stand with us.

If you are a leader, this is a valuable lesson. Although my human nature can rear its head sometime and cause me to want to do it all by myself, I will more frequently remember the valuable benefits of delegation. That's one of the reasons I love my staff so dearly. I know that I can count on them to carry their weight, to do their part and to do that to the best of their ability. Our leadership team is made up of brilliant people who are entrepreneurs, business owners, consultants and experts in their fields. God has surrounded me with some amazing men and women who "hold up my arms" and help guide this church. I am very thankful for each of them.

What about you? Who are the special people that God has put in your life to help you carry the weight of your day? Are their friends, family members, co-workers, a spouse or some other significant individual who you could trust and rely on to make that burden easier? God never expected us to do life alone. Delegation and shared burdens are two ways that life is made easier through the provision of God.

At that time I said to you,"You are too heavy a burden for me to carry alone....Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you. Deuteronomy 1:9, 13 NIV

No comments: