Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Relax

"Relax." You've heard that word used many times before. My wife and I use this great dentist here in Tennessee where we live. He's a wonderful guy with a great personality. But he has two of the biggest hands I've ever seen. They are like something you'd expect to see on a big offensive lineman. So, when he lays me back in the chair to look at my teeth, relaxation is not what's on my mind. I know this guy. I know he's good and he cares about my "oral health." But relaxing is not what I think when he's about to put one drill, two pieces of cotton, a mirror and parts of both of those hands in my mouth.

The same is true with the chiropractor I go to. I've seen this guy for years with all the accidents and sports injuries I've had. I love the guy. He's wonderful. But there's something disconcerting about a guy who says to you "relax" just before he takes your head into his hands and jerks your neck around violently. It's easier said than done.

The same is true with Jesus. Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking. How in the world could I ever question Jesus? It's not Jesus I'm questioning. It's our human nature. When we look at the world around us and the size of our problems, relaxing is not what we think about. And when we see that our lives are about to be jerked about violently, even if we know the end result is for our good, we don't naturally choose to relax.

But that's exactly what Jesus said in Matthew. It was during the message he gave to the people while standing on the mountain top--we call it the Sermon on the Mount and it's found in Matthew 6. (This is just a part of what he said. You can read the whole thing in Matthew 6:25-34)

Therefore, I tell you, do not worry (relax), about your life, what you will eat or drink....For the pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Fathers knows that you need them.

You know what Jesus was saying there? Relax. God's got your back. He loves you and cares for you far greater than you know. I don't know about you but I get tired of doing the "pagan run"--chasing after things that God says he will take care of. I'm ready to rest on most days, knowing that "tomorrow will worry about itself." Thank God, He's already there.

No comments: