Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I think we're all learning some hard fought lessons.

I think we're all learning some hard fought lessons. The current times are forcing us to do that. Many of us are asking (some for the first time ever) "what's really important and valuable to me?"

I think that's why the series we just finished at Ridgeview was so relevant. When you get down to difficult times and difficult choices, you better know what your values truly are. There are some "hills" that I would choose to die on but I'm finding out just as many things that really don't matter to me. I want to learn to sift through my life and pull out the ones that are really at the core of who I am.

Solomon did some of this same soul-searching in Ecclesiastes. He talked about the purposes of everything under heaven. He talked about wisdom and Godly counsel. He made some general observations about all mankind. Then, in the next-to-the-last verse, he summed it all up with this statement:
"Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13 NIV

That's what I want to do with what's left of my life--live recklessly in anticipation of this journey that God has me on. I don't want to fear men, the future, or the condition of our culture. Rather, I want to see them as opportunities for God to show off His greatness. I don't want to live in a cage or, worse yet, as a "tame" follower of a predictable and boring God. May the balance of my life be an adventure-filled, passion-driven pursuit of Him. All else pales in comparison.

No comments: