Wednesday, April 08, 2009

There is an old saying, "If it isn't broke...don't fix it."

There is an old saying, "If it isn't broke...don't fix it." A few months back, a friend of mine challenged that thought with a quote from Tom Peters book Thriving on Chaos. He argues, "If it isn't broke...you probably haven't looked hard enough."

As I was wading through some papers on my desk today, that quote caught my eye. I began to think about the spiritual implications of that sentence. If it isn't broke...have I really looked closely enough at my life? You see, it's not till we see our need that we can truly appreciate what Christ did for us that first Easter 2000+ years ago. Unfortunately, if we're not seeing all the ways that we are frail and broken, we can tend to build up a spiritual arrogance. This, in turn, leads to a judgmental heart towards others and an inability to receive all that God offers us. Why receive healing if we don't understand how we are injured? Why talk about His great love for us until we comprehend how unlovely we can really be?

As we approach Easter 2009, I invite you to take a second look at who you really are. Deep down inside, we all know that our brokenness is exactly what makes us so precious to God. For deep inside the Creator's heart is a desire to give us wholeness and restore us to holiness.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12: 9

No comments: