Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's about the journey.

It's about the journey.

I am going to be honest with you up front and let you know that I have been in meetings since 9:30 this morning. My brain is more than just a little numb. So, as this phrase is rolling around in my head, I can't recall where it was that I heard it. I just know...it's right. Actually, the whole statement goes like this.

It's not about the destination; it's about the journey.

Here's why I like it so much. I believe that so many followers of Christ get caught up in our eternal destination that we forget that God did not ultimately create us for heaven. He created us for relationship. He created us to be like Him. He created us for...the journey.

Rather than looking so far ahead that we forget why we are still here, I believe that God is working in us and on us daily. This journey--with all its moments, its events, its experiences--is about shaping us for that relationship. As Rick Warren puts it, "God's not interested in our comfort; He is interested in our character."

I don't believe that God acts like some Divine flight attendant..."Thank you for traveling with us. We hope you have enjoyed your flight. We will be offering a complete beverage service for your comfort."

Rather, I think God says, "This journey will be tough. You may not like every step of the trip. You may hate some moments. You will fight. You will struggle. But most of all, with my help, you will survive. And I guarantee you will like what you see when the journey is done as long as you stick with Me."

Enjoy your journey...whatever this leg of the trip may hold.

No comments: