Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A good talking to

I had more than one of those in my life...these "good talking tos". They usually followed some event where I had been up to no good or made some crazy decision. Then, some teacher, coach, friend or one of my parents would sit me down and have these life altering conversations. They would always say, "You'll be a better person for what I am about to share with you." I'm thankful for them now but I sure didn't relish them at the time. They scared me to death. Just thinking about them now makes me shiver a little.

So, can you imagine the feeling Job must have had when his occurred? That's right, Job, from the Bible. I read this yesterday in my quiet time and, as I skimmed over the words, felt that same little shiver in my spine. This is God speaking...

Brace yourself like a man; I will question you and you shall answer me. Job 38:3

Yikes! Talk about intimidating. But I need that...you need that...these "good talking tos" from God. They are done because He loves us. Now, I know from experience with my kids, when you are in the middle of one of these you can have a couple of reactions. The first--cross your arms, close your ears and stare off into space. Lessons are missed. Life stays the same. You wind up losing all that you could have gained from the conversation.

The second--the much better approach--open your ears and, more important, your heart. God is speaking and it is always worth listening to. Pull yourself aside today and pray, "God, you need to talk. I need to listen." You'll be a better person for doing it.

No comments: