Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Boy, how things are changing.

My son--my "little" boy--isn't so little any more. He turned 15 last Saturday. Seems hard to believe but it's true. The kid I used to hoist to the ceiling with one hand as we played in the floor is now looking me in the eye. The kid I used to beg to say "daddy" now talks (or should I say texts) without fear or hesitation. The kid who used to waddle around my house with his feet slipped inside my tennis shoes is now off-and-running with his own schedule, his own routine, his own plan for the day.

With that reality comes mixed emotions. While he's still my son, he's no longer my boy. He's a young man. While I love the fact that he is maturing daily, I hate the fact that he becomes "too big for his britches." While I'm glad that he is getting smarter and learning more, I'm not excited that he thinks his dad is ignorant about some subjects in life (how many times have I heard "but Dad you don't understand...?") He bucks and snorts at the discipline that we put into his life with one breath. With the next, he recognizes that his parents have protected him from so much and blessed him abundantly.

With every year that passes, it gets easier to see that he is 100% my son. He looks like me, talks like me, gets angry like me, lives passionately like me--I absolutely love it. But it's not easy watching "me" grow up again.

This morning, I thought how much our relationship resembles that of mine to God. How I change and transform on a daily basis. I resist. I rebel. I debate God. But, with every day that passes, as long as I am willing to accept the discipline He brings to my life, I'm looking more and more like Him. One day, one day soon, I'll go from a tumbling toddler in my faith (where I feel like I am right at this moment) to being able to look Him in the eye...literally. I can't wait for that moment. And I pray that when it arrives, there will be no denying that I am 100% His.

You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:26-27

I love you, Harrison. I'm very proud to be your coach...your father...your friend...your biggest fan! I'm still praying that you grow up to change the world by being more like your Heavenly Father. You can start by doing your homework and a load of laundry.

No comments: