Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I love when people get it.

I have been a "teacher", in some form, for most of my life. I tutored younger students in high school and college. I taught world history and coached sports at a high school after graduation. And, of course, I've been teaching in my role as a minister for over 20 years now. It is always a source of great satisfaction to watch the light bulb go on for someone. Whether it's a principle they've learned or a new technique they are trying, it just feels really good to see their face when they see the results of their new found "knowledge." It's especially cool when the principles are Biblical ones. So, I'll let my friend at Ridgeview tell his story in his own words:

Pastor Ridley,

I sat and pondered all the changes that the Lord has made in our lives. We, as a husband and wife, went from almost splitting up to worshiping the Lord. I guess it was when I finally realized that I will make mistakes that I stop getting angry at myself and taking it out on my family. I truly thought that there was something wrong with me. My question was, "Lord, why can I not stay faithful to you and stop messing up?" And then the flood literally came. As I was rushing to get home from work, I was following a co-worker. Every where I turned was blocked. I finally told him to go on and I would find my way home. As I found a road that lead home, I realized right then that I have been following other peoples choices and decisions and worst of all my own. Every where blocked. (blessing one) Later that night me and my wife had realized how lucky we where that the flood did not take our home. But, with that realization and our conversation, we both decided to give the Lord his Tithes. He would take care of us. What's so amazing about all of this is not the fact that he has blessed us in our giving but that it took a flood for me and my wife to stop fighting over tithing and just start giving....I did go to work and tell my friends what the Lord did. And to my surprise, they were amazed at how His blessings are. So, I guess what I am saying is blessings and heartache will come…But the only one that succeeded in perfection is Christ….and he had to die for me to go to heaven. Perfection is something to always strive for but realize it will never be achieved. That is what I have realized.

It just doesn't get any better than that. These are the victories that make pastoring worthwhile. I love when God's love just "floods" someone, when they take that first scary step in trusting Him and find....He is absolutely capable of carrying out His promises...always. Thank you, friend, for sharing your story. I'm thankful that God's mercy got your attention that day. I pray that you and I will get the joy of seeing many others like you come to find that God is always reliable!!

No comments: