Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I was thinking about my loss today as I reflected back

I was thinking about my loss today as I reflected back on my friend, Steve, who passed away this weekend. I guess my thoughts were stirred by his death along with the fact that I have several friends who are awaiting test results, facing surgeries or battling personal illnesses right now.

When I think back on those days, I'm amazed at how God sends His grace in the most amazing ways in the darkest situations. In the first moments after our van was struck that April afternoon, I screamed and prayed as loudly as I could to God. God didn't save my wife... but He did send an incredible peace into that chaotic moment. It was a peace that I would absolutely need to survive those next hours and days.

I think back on the days our family shared just prior to the accident. Wonderful memories, lots of laughs and dozens of pictures--pictures that would serve as a wonderful connection to what God had blessed Abigail, Harrison and me with.

In the midst of a loss, never doubt that God will give you comfort. His peace is constant and gentle. He promised that He would "never leave you or forsake you." Whatever your loss today (maybe a loved one, maybe a loss of security because of desperate news from the doctor, maybe you lost your significance because your occupation has been taken) you can rest in knowing that God's power is supreme and His way is best. Trust Him.

Personal note: Kristin, thanks for your kind words and for sharing your dad with Lisa and me. Please know that we are praying for you in your loss this week and the weeks to come.

No comments: