Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanks.

Thanks. It's a simple word not often said--at least, not nearly often enough. Because it's that time of year and I didn't want to branch way out on a limb, I decided to share my gratitude via this blog. Here's a few things I'm very thankful for (I'm way too blessed to name them all).

I'm thankful for friends that come in all shapes, sizes and colors. I'm thankful they love me when I get stupid, challenge me when I get lazy and encourage me when life gets tough.

I'm thankful for a mom who knows how to make the best dressing IN THE WORLD and that, long before I was old enough to taste it, she and my dad were encouraging me to love God. I've found that dressing satisfies for hours; God is eternally more sufficient.

I'm thankful for my staff. Nobody in America has as much fun with the people they work with. Just come stand outside our office (don't do it on Mondays. It's crazy in here) and listen to the laughter that fills this place as we work side-by-side.

I'm thankful for my cars. I can't imagine climbing onto a buckboard for the five hour trip to Georgia nor can I imagine climbing the ridge at Monteagle with a team of horses and four hungry children.

I'm thankful for my church family. Ridgies are the best. You do such an amazing job of being the "bride of Christ." I pray for you daily and know that you do the same for me. Together, we will make a difference for the Kingdom of God.

I'm thankful for Godly examples in my life--those people who best exhibited Christ to me over the years and are patient with me as I learn what being an "imitator of God" is all about.

I'm thankful for my extended family from Virginia to Georgia, from East Tennessee to West Franklin. God has blessed me more than I deserve in this area so thank you, all of you--in-laws, outlaws and just one step ahead of the law. You guys are the best and I love you.

I'm thankful for three beautiful daughters who make my heart dance when they are around. I want to be a hero for them. I want to teach them what real love is all about. I want them to know that there are good men left in this world. I'm thankful they understand me when I get that wrong.

I'm thankful for my son. There's no way I can deny that child is mine. He looks like me, eats like me and argues like me (the perfect trifecta for any woman). I pray the lessons he learns from me are far more plentiful than the mistakes I have to apologize for. He's a good kid; they all are.

I'm thankful for my beautiful wife, Lisa. As I told a friend recently, God knew when I got married again I would need someone who was beautiful (check), smart (check), Godly (check, check) and tough enough to stand in my face and make me a better man (triple check). Lisa is so good for me. God is even better.

It's my last entry for the week as my family heads out for the holiday celebration. I pray that you and your family have a wonderful, safe and preservative free Thanksgiving. I'll see you back here in December. Do yourself a favor. Take time to say thanks to some people in your life this week.

No comments: