Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The light bulb is taunting me

It's there every time I go into our bathroom, hanging between my sink and Lisa's. It only went out last week but it's been a constant reminder of things left undone. So, every time I brush my teeth or take my vitamins or wash my hands, there is this bulb...I swear it's staring at me.

I guess the reason it bothers me so much is that it speaks to me of that never-ending "to do" list in my life. This list goes way beyond weeds that need to be pulled or oil changes for the truck or new filters for the A/C. It's about books that I haven't finished reading...or writing. It's about phone calls I need to make and relationships that I need to invest in. Every time I've seen that bulb this week, I've seen that list. Deep down inside, I recognize that the list will always exist. There will always be something left to do, someone else to speak with, another bill to pay, another balance due. Then God, in His own funny way, encouraged me with this verse last night. There will be a day when the list is DONE.

The city does not need the sun or the moon (or anything else from my "to do" list) to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp (so much for my light bulb). Revelations 21:23 NIV

Our fulfillment--and ultimately the fulfillment of every list--is found in the glory of heaven and the presence of God. I'm discovering that having God at the head of that list keeps all of life--even blown light bulbs--in proper perspective.

No comments: