Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I've heard it said that if you want to make God laugh, you should just tell Him your plans.

I've heard it said that if you want to make God laugh, you should just tell Him your plans. To be honest, I wonder sometimes if my plans would make God laugh or make Him cry. I'm in this stage of my life right now where I'm questioning if I'm dreaming big enough. Am I taking enough risks for the Kingdom?

I've come to very few conclusions for me personally, but I can tell you one thing that I'm sure of--God is showing me some fascinating things about my relationship with Him. What I'm finding is there is a gap between what I think it should be and what He thinks it should be. I've discovered that most of us are far too logical with our thinking in our relationship with God when, in reality, faith in God requires less logic and (dare I say it?) more foolishness. Look at most of the stories of Scripture and the heroes of their faith. Very little about what they did and the way they did it is "logical". I think we'd all agree that it takes some foolish thinking to build an ark in the desert where there has been no rain or to get out of a boat in the middle of a storm to go for a walk on the water. Why is it that our 21st century faith is so tame...so calm...so rational? Maybe the answer to that can also help us understand why most of our churches accomplish little for the kingdom and make little impact on our culture.

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength....But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 1 Corinthians 1:25, 27

No comments: