Thursday, March 11, 2010

Faithful

I was laughing as I rode down the road to Nashville earlier today. There was a country song playing (little known fact about Ridley...he really likes good country music. This song did, however, did not fall into that category). It was talking about his faithful truck as opposed to his unfaithful girl. I guess he was more interested in getting a reliable crank rather than living with one (not funny, I know, but it's been a long week). Faithfulness is a character trait we like to see in ourselves. It's one we respect and desire from others as well. But what does it really mean when the Bible talks about God being faithful?

The dictionary uses some really cool words to define it, words like loyal, constant and steadfast. On the other hand, there are words like traitorous and unreliable used as antonyms for this word. So, as I was reading this morning, I came across this verse:

Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. Deuteronomy 7:9

Without much thought, this phrase came to mind as I thought about that word--"without a doubt." That's what I think of when it comes to God. When it comes to his end of the deal, you can move forward "without a doubt." You can trust that he will always keep his end of the bargain. And you can underline, boldface, italicize and highlight that word. He will, without a doubt, do his part.

But what about me? I'd like to believe that I'm like the truck in the song. I'd like to know that God sees me as one of the reliable ones...kind of like Job or David. And ultimately, that's my choice. No one else "makes" me faithful. No one else chooses for me. It comes down to my willingness to be what God has asked me to be. For me? Without a doubt, I want to be found faithful.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Hi Ridley....it's been a while since I've commented. Not because your posts have gone unread (they haven't) or because I haven't gleaned anything useful from them (I have) but because this topic has been preaching loudly in my mind of late. Just yesterday, I read this (http://adamadiaries.blogspot.com/2010/01/blind-ambition.html) and think that you will enjoy it.

In addition, our church has been doing a great study, "Gospel Centered Life" and it has been phenomenal. Convicting but phenomenal...for our individual and collective growth. One of its main points is in our learning/realizing the extent of our wretchedness (my word) and the extent of His greatness/sovereignty and, when we begin to appreciate this, the cross becomes larger in our hearts.

Thanks, as always, for your insights.